Sunday, July 19, 2009

Donald Glover in Variety





























Two weeks after I post Donald Glover in our Black Star Watch, Variety posts him in their 10 comics to watch. Why I'd like to think it was my doing, the truth is just Donald Glover has been getting too much attention in Hollywood to be ignored. Below is the Variety article, written by Ian Blair:

Atlanta boy Donald Glover credits his "unusual" upbringing for forming and informing his comedic outlook on life.

"My parents had a lot of foster kids living with us, and a lot of my stuff is autobiographical -- stuff that weirded me out as a kid," he says. "I was the only black kid in my school for a long time, and I got picked on a lot as I was a big nerd. I was really into 'Star Trek' and 'Looney Tunes' and crafts and writing plays. I wasn't one of the cool kids."

That all changed when he moved to New York to study at the Tisch School of the Arts for four years. "I started doing sketch, then standup and improv, although I always just liked the term 'comedian,' as then people don't put you in a box," he notes.

Glover was still a resident assistant at NYU when he landed a staff writer gig on the show "30 Rock."

"It changed my life -- and my comedy," he says. "Tina Fey took me under her wing and really pushed me to find my own voice. Going in, I didn't really know who I was comedically, but coming out (after writing there for the first three seasons), I felt far more confident."

Since recently moving to L.A., the 25-year-old comedian and writer has performed a lot with the Upright Citizens Brigade Theater. "I also head to the Laugh Factory and try some standup anywhere there's some free space," he adds. "I really like the underground comedy scene here as it gives you a chance to try out material you can't always do in some places."

Next up is his first feature, "Mystery Team," which he co-wrote, produced, scored and starred in. The film, which he calls "an homage to 'Encyclopedia Brown,' " premiered at Sundance and will be released this fall.

POV: "Most people think I'm Danny Glover's son when they meet me. So when they ask, I say 'No, I'm Crispin Glover's son.' Then we stare at each other for a long time."

No comments:

Post a Comment